Saturday, May 18, 2019

Saturday 18th May




Veronica

Well I haven't read it but The Victorians by Jacob Rees Mogg is hardly getting great reviews, just to quote, "A staggeringly silly piece of writing on history". Cannot it be that this foolish man is a man trying to run the country, as for the other idiot in this saga of present history Boris Johnson - what hope for our bewildered country?
Life is a little boring in this part of the country, the weather has turned cold, some planting to do, Lucy wants a bath and a clip, though she hasn't asked for it ;).
I have just been looking for a book or two written by Barry Lopez, but note how Amazon bustles in on every scene, we are being taken over by these giant commercialized megalomaniacs.  They follow us through our morning read of the papers nagging in the background.
Paul (and I for a time) watched an Australian film called Secret City , on Netflix it gives a slightly different picture of Australia, (that Commonwealth country we are aspiring to when we leave Brexit - yeah).  Well, it may be a little different given its proximity to China, of course it is only a made up story but rather worrying all the same as it follows the theme we are experiencing at the moment with Huawei and eavesdropping by the Chinese . China like Amazon is also in the process of taking over the world, what will the rest of us do I wonder?  Perhaps Climate Change will alter the facts, I noted elsewhere yesterday that the Guardian is using different terminology to describe Climate Change,  

Instead of “climate change” the preferred terms are “climate emergency, crisis or breakdown” and “global heating” is favoured over “global warming”, although the original terms are not banned.



“We want to ensure that we are being scientifically precise, while also communicating clearly with readers on this very important issue,” said the editor-in-chief, Katharine Viner. “The phrase ‘climate change’, for example, sounds rather passive and gentle when what scientists are talking about is a catastrophe for humanity.”
Take note!
But to more mundane matters, coffee needs to be made, and Lucy's breakfast.

Farming;  till 10.30 last night the tractors roared by with truck loads of grass presumably for silage, they have continued this morning.


Negative and positive happenings;

Happy that I finished the above, but not so happy with the turquoise silk I dyed.  Too dark, and also silk is a bit fuzzy after spinning, do I need to spin one ply with wool? then it colours differently on each strand.













https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/the-victorians-by-jacob-rees-mogg-book-review-zqltrw5rz

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2019/may/15/the-victorians-jacob-rees-mogg-review

8 comments:

The Weaver of Grass said...

Questions re dyeing go right over my head I am afraid.
As to political names and their goings on (pictures of Boris making his first moves in the papers this morning), I just choose to ignore the lot.
So glad you are still blogging - - I feared you had disappeared into the ether.

thelma said...

No Pat, I suddenly realised that you get an awful lot of traffic when you write something slightly controversial. And I like to talk to myself - haha - occasionally. For instance with a memory that is going, the dyeing stuff is to do with what I must remember.. But I do like blogging and will eventually return to my old blog. Also it is finding something to blog about as well.

Rain Trueax said...

I think there are no countries out there that are not going through change right now. Is it global warming? Maybe. Culturally we are shifting into new directions, which proves upsetting depending on whether you like the direction. ;)

thelma said...

Well Rain you live in a very different terrain to me, and I did love all the photos on your latest blog. Sometimes I think I become overwhelmed by the forces surrounding me, in this instance, The Climate scenario. Of course we wont be here when the real force hits, but our children and grandchildren will be - was it our fault?
Glad you found this blog, but I will revert to my old blog soon, my partner is not too well either which is a bit of a worry.

Rain Trueax said...

Sorry about your partner.

I do live in different terrain, when in Arizona, but Oregon is pretty similar, I think. I like both.

From what I can tell, people everywhere are upset at their governments and where everything is heading-- at least that's the impression I get from reading those on Facebook. The only ones not posting upset stay away from politics period :). I kept your other blog on my blog list. I understand the frustration sometimes with blogging.

The Weaver of Grass said...

Son has taken you off the top of my Blogs I follow list - so apologies for its presence there.

thelma said...

Thanks Pat, my prominent 'red spot' was a bit of an embarassment..

Comma said...

It is a privilege to share this miraculous testimony with the world. This is Beth Walters from England. My husband divorced me 4 months ago and I was full of remorse because I didn't know what to do to change my husband's problems. I searched the internet for help on how I could get help in my marriage and discovered wonderful witnesses to the wight love Spell that was progressive with its spells. I contacted him and Dr. Wight told me that he would prepare a spell for me to bring my husband back. I was skeptical, but I had no choice but to work with him. 2 days later, my husband called me to come home from that day and until now, I have lived peacefully. He returned now with so much love and care. today I am glad to announce to you all that this spell player has the power to bring back lovers and the most surprising thing is that our love is very strong now, every day is happiness and joy. and There is nothing like being with the man you love. I will recommend Dr.Wight to anyone who needs help. If you have any problems, contact Dr.Wealthy, I guarantee 100% that he will help you !!.
Email: wightmagicmaster@gmail.com

WhatsApp:+17168691327